You must be able to demonstrate
- A General Knowledge of radio communications within the maritime mobile service
- A detailed practical knowledge of the VHF radio installation and the use of equipment
- The purpose of Digital Selective Calling (DSC) facilities
- A knowledge of the operational procedures of the Global Maritime Distress System (GMDSS)
- A knowledge of the practical operation of the GMDSS sub systems and equipment, (as appropriate to 'non-solas' vessels), including:
- The Distress, Urgency and Safety communication procedures used in GMDSS.
- The Distress, Urgency and Safety communication procedures used in radiotelephony.
- The protection of Distress frequencies.
- The Maritime Safety Information, (MSI), systems used in the GMDSS.
- The Alerting and Locating signals used in the GMDSS.
- A knowledge of the regulations, obligatory procedures and practices used in communications
- Successfully pass theoretical and practical assessments.